East Blackwood Company District

• “I have,” she says, as she walks away. “I didn’t say anything when you and Victor shared a toast. I didn’t say anything when we entered his home, or when we stayed in the same room with less favorable company. Or fought to spend more money on a second room at times.”

She looks at the wine sitting next to the water. “There were times when I stopped talking because it was more favorable for you to be in that moment of victory than it was for me.”

Realene taps her fingers a moment on her leg. “I’m also quiet when you call me the same nickname as my master did when he would drag me into a dark room by my chains when he was drunk. Or drug me to have visions... for his guests entertainment.”

She stands there for a long moment...

“I shut up about a lot of things...”

• Dagger leans into speak pointedly at Rae. "I bring you with me as an assistant in matters of trade and to help keep the books concerning the treasury. I ask you for advice on some matters. Those are your roles within the Embassy and East Blackwood Company. They are what you can do for your island. The success of the Company and the Embassy's diplomatic success reflect on your home. You are not here to be a diplomat. You are not here to make decisions unless I ask you to do so. You can stand in for me on other members of the Company, such as your sister, if it is needed but beyond that you have plenty of work in other areas. So when you tell me that you heed your own advice by keeping silent when the Embassy or Company is having meetings you are stating that you otherwise would speak up even though its not your meeting, it is not your personal goals being persuade."

"Your "shutting up" is not the issue. Your consistent need to condescend is. You can either help me achieve Embassy and Company goals by being constructive and not disrespectful or you can, as you say, shut up. I value your skills and your advice. I do not value being talked down to by my employees."

Dagger sits back again and takes a sip from what was offered. "Thank you for the drink. Now about slavery, as it seems you find it prudent to inform me now that your master had the same nickname I use for you. Slavery is outlawed in most of the Realms. Unless something has changed since I left, Slavery was only legal in places like Rathkeale. Where were you a slave? Oh and slave holding, as far as I have seen, is legal in the Northern Seal. While I was in Gales Morgan they had them."

• Realene presses her lips together for only a moment. “Bracvera, where I was deemed worthy for breeding stock... and nothing more. I was called ‘Realene’ because I was his ‘little lamb’.”

Her body start to tremble.

“He was a merchant, and not the honorable kind. The kind that has his day time job and the kind that works another trade under the cover of that one.”

She swallows, “His precious little Rae-Rae... his little yellow haired golden treasure who could grant his customers entertainment as he made her breathe poisoned smoke to make her hallucinate and say riddles,” she laughs but it’s in anger, “oh and let’s not mention what happens when she blacks out, oh what lovely things could he make money for then when your body is owned, bought, and paid for by someone else and doesn’t belong to you. How they brand you, so that everyday for the rest of your life you are reminded that you are not a being, you are a piece of meat to be used and sold that maybe even the dogs themselves that eat the scraps in the streets are more free to do as they will than you are.”

Realene’s eyes well up with tears. “And the only freedom thatcame was when a woman dressed in black walks into a room where you are by accident, where you are chained with blood dripping down your nose, hoping that maybe she’s the shadow of death come to finally take you out of this hell.”

Realene swallows hard as tears come down her cheeks. “And by some miracle the next thing you know you’re on a boat, and the woman in black who you think is some kind of queen the way she holds herself is bathing you cause you’re too weak to do it on your own because you haven’t eaten a decent meal. She reads you stories, and gives you medicine, and cleans up the vomit without complaint. And you wonder for months why someone so kind is treating you this way... she teaches you to read and to write and how to use numbers. She shows you how to be strong, and tell sea captains who think they know everything how to not take advantage of you, and that here on her tiny island you have a place where no one is your master. That you have a voice and it should be heard, and that you should speak it freely because FOR TOO LONG... no one heard you screaming for help or cared until she came along, and she was patient and kind even when you couldn’t find the right words, and then she died before you could tell her that you loved her... that she was the mother you thought you should have had if you had had a normal childhood. And she never calls you Rae or Rae-Rae to remind you of how broken you are and how worthless you felt. She calls you ‘Lee’ because it means ‘Healer’ and because you can’t to be healed of all the horrible things.”

She swallows, “But what do you care. You’re about ready to just throw that water in my face anyway, right? Here’s Raelene Skye... the Asset of the company... and in my mind I should have listened to the voice in my head that said, no way he’d ever believe that for a moment.”

• Dagger studies the woman for a long moment before responding. This woman, who has been both an asset and a painful thorn in his side since she first strolled into the Zweiwasser war camp the Ambassader had been staying at an insulted him was either opening up to him or lying. Truth be told, the old soldier had never heard of Bracvera before. He had visited many lands, invaded some and heard of many more but never Bracvera. Still, if what she was saying was true then Dagger would have to resist the to give every name he felt too complicated to speak with easy memory a nickname; a practice that had always come natural to him. He had even called the Arch Duke of Blackwood Darky Dark... Those were days past though as the Arch Duke had long since died.

Even if what she was saying was true, it did not excuse her regular disrespect. "I have been bound and beaten but I have never had that life. I have done a grate many other things in my time that I regret now however. I will not try to question the validity of your statement but I can tell you this. The days of slavery are over but you are not my partner. You are not a citizen of Blackwood like Djako here or your sister. You are Raelene "Lee" Skie, my assistant until you decide it is time to end your contract and head home."

"I am not your sister Raelene. I do not understand these things you speak of. My way of solving problems is mechanical or with the sword and hammer. How I would have dealt with what you spoke of would be to raid that land and kill everything that held a lash if I were of the right moral mind. Compassion is not something that comes easily to me. That is something your sister has in spades."

"But you are here now. You are here with the East Blackwood Embassy and the East Blackwood Company. You are not a slave, you are an employee. An asset yes but you are not in a position to speak to me the way you do. So let us make a deal. I will do my best to resist the urge to use nicknames with you and you resist the urge to attempt to educate me. I am in need of advice at times. I am in need of support and ideas on occasion. I am not picking up the quill and moving the beads of the abacus for the first time. Are we understood, Lee?"

• Realene doesn’t say any thing, and walks to her desk to pick up her book and graphite. Her hands, still trembling, fumble as she tries to gather her things into her arms.

“Ask Djako then, if you trust the company of your own people. What would be best is to find a way for him to invite you into his circle if you’d rather not seem arrogant. Sometimes it is better to make a good impression and be invited, than to come across wanting.”

Raelene holds her things close to her chest, a picks up her dress. “I need air, so I’ll leave you with whom you trust.”

With that, Realene leaves the room.

• -------------

Some time after the campaign to Kahl’Hatra,

-------------

Word was sent from Blackwood House in Zweiwasser within the Reich der Rosen to the East Blackwood Company city district in Copperdale ordering that all available guards, carraiges, wagons and mounts mobilize. The reason for the order was not given. A couple of weeks later, Anthem, the Embassy Guard Commander, arrived to collect those resources and bring them south to Holzbrück. Athem did not speak much on his reason for doing so while there but it was suggested that it was Company business and a delacate matter.

• ------------

Over two months have passed since the majority of the East Blackwood Company resources were taken out of the Copperdale district leaving just the bare minimum to ensure that light business continued. The East Blackwood and Realms Deputations have remained closed with only a couple of servants working a few hours a day to keep it clean. The barracks held only the freshest of recruits and one old trainer too old to march to look after them. The Administrator was also gone though one of his brothers had been staying in the house. For the most part though, the district was empty and difficult to administor during this time.

• --------

With the time the majority of the district guards were absent and the general demenor of the Copperdale people present at the Summer Campaign, Ambassador Dagger and Commander Anthem were feeling a bit nervous with the likely state of the East Blackwood Company District in Copperdale. To ensure that any issues were handled, Dagger had Anthem hire the Iron Daggers as a defense and police force for the city for an undisclosed amount of time. That force arrives soon.

• Diob walks around the area. Patrolling and assurering that the area is well protected.

- Diob the to tailed fox

Owner of the Wineyard.

Master of Coin in the Coterie of the Iron daggers, under Sir Raven the Loyal.

He is in the north do to his job as a mercenary, and a diplomat.

He always wears his sword and dagger on his side, and a big bag filled with small trinkets and valuable items.

• -------

The core of the district was had a stables, manor house, small mercenary barracks, the Blackwood and Realms Deputation building complex and the East Blackwood Company headquarters building which was only a couple rooms large. The district administrator was the Embassy Guard's leader, Commander Anthem DeVigil, Delos HORD. Anthem held a corps of Guard soldiers within the core of the district which fulfilled policing duties for the area and occasionally made patrols outside of the core district to do the same. Anthem himself was generally busy in his workshop within his family manor brewing potions and attempting new recipes.

• Torkild wakes up early, stirred by the morning call of the rooster.

He looks around the room of the iron daggers, the place looking like a battlefield from the night before. Luckily he is a trained warrior and nimbly jumps over the empty jugs and "dead" comrades.

Gathering his clothes and gear he hears the city of copperdale slowly waking up. For some time now the Iron Daggers had functioned as guards in the district of the East Blackwood Company.

At first it was a welcome rest from the travelling and the wars, but now the days had become mundane. The patrolling day in and day out had taken a toll on his pride and his sanity. Mumbling about this not being a warriors life, Torkild grabs a jug from the table and takes a swig. The unknown liquid burns, and clears his mind.

A blurred memory of Sir Raven giving him orders yesterday passes his mind. He suddenly remembers that it is his turn to patrol the streets with Magnus. He looks around at his comrades streewn about the room and thinks to himself "but where is Magnus..."

• Walking along the streets of Copperdale, Magnus enjoys the smell of fresh bread coming from the bakery. His head hurts, and he wonders wether it's from the drinks Torkild ordered yesterday or it was from wrestling with Ilya. Either way the cold of the morning soothes his pain and he strolls along.

Letting his feet carry him, Magnus does not registrer much but just walks along smiling. Soon he will hit one of the patrol routes in the East Blackwood District, and he can follow that to the Qaurters of the Iron Daggers. As the Shops slowly open, he thinks back to when they first arrived at the city. Most of the Iron Daggers where happy to take a break from the constant fighting and marching, but Magnus did not look forward to the city life. Now though he had become accustomed to the comfort and pleasures of the city.

With a smile on his lips he walks into a market . The bustling of the peasants and shouting of the merchants fills the small sqaure with life. He notices a sell sword standing guard at one of the merchants stands. Something crosses his mind, something important, something Sir Raven said yesterday. Suddenly someone shouts "fresh fish! Get the fresh fish here" close to Magnus. He shakes his head,the noise making it hurt even more and the memory fades away.

Shooting the fish mongere a dethly stare, he dodges a cart of cabbages and aims for one the quiet alleys. After getting to safety in the dark alleyway he makes up a way back to the East blackwwod Company district and walks along.

• After Torkild is done cursing Magnus, he gathers up Magnus's gear and walks outside. Making his way to the start of the patrol route, Torkild thinks of ways to punish Magnus for not joining the patrol.

As he stands there thinking, his eyes catches movement in front of him. Two street dogs are growling at each other, standing around a puddle of water. Thorkild stops and looks at the scene of the two dogs. He thinks to himself "What wretched creatures, fighting over a puddle"

Across the small street someone shouts "Torkild!" He looks around and sees a big man entering from one of the alleys. A look of anger crosses Torkilds face. The man walks towards him smiling, one of his eyes purple and swollen. It's Magnus.

• Fuming more and more Torkild takes his gloves and slaps Magnus's hand as he is reaching for the flask.

Torkild says:

"No you can not! You goddamned son of a whore."

As he takes the flask and starts chugging, he stops halfway, remembering that it is not water in the flask. He spits out what he has in his mouth and starts coughing.

Seeing this, Magnus starts laughing out loud. Rooster looks up with bloodshoot eyes, the anger overtakes him and he leaps at Magnus shoving them both in to the mud of the street.

As the sun now lights up the streets, both the dogs and the daggers fighting in the mud, starts of yet another day in the life of the Coterie of the Iron Daggers.

• A woman in a cotton white shirt, and deep indigo blue skirt, walks onto the scene of these two men fighting.

She had woken up early for a walk that morning to clear her thoughts, and enjoy some peace that it brought... only to hear the echos of a clamor in the district instead. She straightened out her brown stripped canvas corset, and leather vest and decided to investigate.

Only, when she did find them fighting she crossed her arms and leans against the walls a moment to wait for them to exert their energy... or realize they were not alone... whichever came first. She smirked as she watched. “Northern Games, wouldn’t you say, Axel?” She mutters softly so they can’t hear her, as a sad memory passes her mind, and then flees.

• The small band of HORD mercenaries which trained in front of the barracks were awake and training with the few Embassy Guard soldiers who were also up and about. They mostly minded their business and left the Iron Daggers to their own devices. The Iron Dagger outnumbered the fighting men and women stationed in Copperdale from the Embassy Guard and HORD most days and such they stayed mainly in the heart of the district.

• After a few moments of rolling around Magnus found himself holding Torkild in a chokehold. After a few seconds Torkilds closes his eyes and passes out. Magnus looses his pinch and lays the Rooster gently down. Standing up he looks around and notices a woman looking at him. He smiles and nods, standing there covered in mud. Torkild starts coming back, muttering curses at Magnus. He helps Torkild get to his feet when, and they go to the well close by. After freshening up Magnus nods to Torkild and the two men start the patrol.

Passing by the women Magnus smiles and says proudly "I won huh! " a grin across his face.