A Deal with a Devil

• The Devil smiled as he laid eyes upon the palace on the hill. Although a paltry place in comparison to the vistas he had been accustomed to for the greater part of his existence, it was a pleasant change from the dreary place known to the mortals as the 'Mirror World'. A while back, he had seen the Chaos citadel and had found it barbaric - but this seemed to possess a certain grandeur. Not as intimate and tantalizing as what his House had made out of the settlement of Blutkamm, but as this was, was to be expected for the residence of, as he was led to understood, the rulers of the Northern Seal.

Briefly, Radovan wondered why he hadn't shown up here before. Protectorates and their Protectors were clearly something these folk respected - hence his interest in the position in the first place. But time was irrelevant for him and though it had been years since he had first stepped onto the soil of Mythodea, those years still seemed like mere moments, insignificant to the centuries-old being. This was a game to him, a game with Souls lost and won, but up to a point, still a game. And a game Clan Cerastes was intend on winning - the rest of the Cosa Diavolo Nostra were breathing down his neck and he needed to take the 'fight' to the 'foe'.

The fight, yes...The Devil's martial upbringing had instilled in him a preference for leading by example and he had chosen to be close to the front lines all these years. Victories had been won, promises had been made and he had been on the point of collecting, when the mortals' campaign had moved to the Mirror realm, leaving his favourite player behind; Ka'Shalee. The Mirror World, in turn, had proven to be both profitable and distracting, but after the disaster with the informant murdered in the dark by Kop-Tar and all that followed, Radovan had finally found the motivation to give the Nyame a personal visit.

With a few mortal mercenaries in tow, as well as a few Demon and Devil bodyguards, the Don of House Cerastes confidently strode towards the palace guards, assuming they'd ask for his business. And his business was clear: he had been able to make an appointment with Ka'Shalee, for an audience.

&WCF_AMPERSAND"I&WCF_AMPERSAND'm going to make you an...offer...&WCF_AMPERSAND"<br />[size=7pt]Radovan &WCF_AMPERSAND"Ironclad&WCF_AMPERSAND" Caelyr, Don of House Cerastes, primary liaison of the Cosa Diavolo Nostra to Mitraspera and Kelriothar.[/size]

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hellwolve ()

• The Palace-Guards watched the approaching troup and their leader.
    The two men in their plate-Armor and the clothes in the color of the North stood on the sides of the palace-door waiting.
    Who are you and what is the matter of your attendance here?
    Asked one of the two men.

[...]die Nyame ist eine sehr verständnisvolle Person... Mit einem Gespühr für Schwächen wie ein Bluthund. [...]

• Casually, hand resting on his rapier, Radovan sized the men up. Good, solid warriors. The Nyame and the Archon were taking their security quite seriously, and the guards were taking their task seriously. As it should be. In reply to the man's question, the Devil briefly nodded his head and after that, indicated the people following him with a wave of his hand.

"I am Don Caelyr. These people are my retinue. We, that is to say, I have an appointment with Nyame Ka'Shalee Zress."

Had the guards been guarding a command tent, this would've been the point Radovan had started walking past them. He wasn't all that patient most of the time and with a command tent, the literal distance to the people in charge was negligible and they'd be at hand to clear up any misunderstandings on the guard's part. But the Devil damn well knew that if he'd try the same here, the repercussions would be far more serious.

So, instead, he looked at the man who had asked the question expectedly, taking a single step forward.

"Be so kind as to either verify this so we can pass, or guide us to her."

&WCF_AMPERSAND"I&WCF_AMPERSAND'm going to make you an...offer...&WCF_AMPERSAND"<br />[size=7pt]Radovan &WCF_AMPERSAND"Ironclad&WCF_AMPERSAND" Caelyr, Don of House Cerastes, primary liaison of the Cosa Diavolo Nostra to Mitraspera and Kelriothar.[/size]

• As Radovan rested his hand on his rapier, the guard did similar on the Sword he wore at his side. That sword didn't look like if it was only for decoration at his belt. Sword against no armor and Rapier against a plate armour - it was quite simple to guess, who would win this fight with weapons.
    He fixed the Devil, while he was speaking. Clarifying with his posture, that walking by was no option at all.

Good Don Caelyr, I know of an appointment you do have with her Excellence the Nyame Ka'Shalee Zress, but your retinue doesn't have any.
    So you'll be allowed to enter the palace, but not those people.

He looked past Radovan to his people.
    So if you would like to enter, be so kind to handle all your weapons to us, then you will be guided by a guard to one of the waiting-chambers.

It was clear, that the guard countered the sheer arrogance of the devil with a bit of too much of kindness.

• Right in this moment a Redcap came into sight, inside behind the guards. He calmly and patiently asked back his weapons at the guard post in the towerhouse, without making any big deal of it.
    Then he put the sword belt on his shoulder and made his way to the gate.

He calmly asked the Guards to step aside and let him leave. One of the guards noticed him and stepped far enough aside to let the redcap pass and still hold his post.

"Thank you, guard." said the Redcap and left, while the guard replied "You're welcome, Ambassador."

Mac Sgíthanach <br />Occupations:<br />Former Ambassador of the Freyenmark to the Northern Realm<br />Now: Private Citizen and Advisor<br /><br />Ah, yes, Mac... A known Connoisseur of faerie weeds and various supernatural intoxicants, aswell as of any creature, large and small, alive, dead or undead...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mac ()

• With a curt nod, Radovan turned towards the people following him and one woman in specific.

"Well, Saffiya, my dear, I guess they won't allow me my P.A.. Wait here."

After having spoken to the woman indicated as his Personal Assistant, the Devil slightly raised his voice to address the rest of the group. They gave the impression of consummate professionals; wary, well armed and armoured and apparently quite loyal for as far as Radovan's coin would pay them. The Demons and Devils among them just seemed loyal, period. Almost giddy to be in the Mortal realms.

"The same goes for all of you. Wait here for my return. If you're in the way, get out of the way. If someone asks you something, answer politely. Don't embarrass House Cerastes or I'll be...miffed."

The Don's voice clearly indicated that as benign a word as 'miffed' was, whatever he'd have in store for them, would be anything but benign. Nodding and chitchatting amongst themselves, the group stepped aside and settled in for a wait. Radovan, in the mean time, did as asked and gently undid the belt of his scabbard and handed it over to the guard, rapier and all.

"Well, with that out of the way, let's get going, shall we?"

• After taking the weaponbelt to a servant, the guard stept to the side.
    Two other guards were waiting inside the palace and nodded politely as Radovan entered.

Please follow us, we'll bring you to one of the guest-rooms. The Nyame will have time for you in approximately one hour.

[...]die Nyame ist eine sehr verständnisvolle Person... Mit einem Gespühr für Schwächen wie ein Bluthund. [...]

• As he started walking, following the two other guards to the guest rooms, Radovan smirked.

If you had spend any amount of time with the Don, you'd know this; though capable of feats of great anger and with an iron clad exterior when needed to remain calm, he was surprisingly amiable for a Devil. Of course, plenty of scholars would agree that this was normal for his kind, a façade to lure one into a contract, but, as it is said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The smirk was accompanied by a quip, as Radovan casually tapped one of his pockets and spoke in a conversational tone.

"An hour? I take it you two fine gents don't have time for a game of cards?"

• As you might recognize, good sir, we are guards. but no mere servants. But if you would like playing cards while waiting, a servant or two could be send for you, while you are waiting.

The group had reached a room, that was furnished for a couple of people to have an comfortably rest while waiting. A servent kneeled in a corner an waited.

• "As said, figured as much. I'd appreciate it if one or two would be send over, yes. But I believe that fellow over there can start."

Radovan took a seat, took his pack of cards from one of his belt pouches and started to shuffle the stack. Even a quick glance at the cards revealed what could be called uncommon designs. Skulls, gore, Devils, Demons and even Dragons all featured heavily. Looking expectedly at the others, especially the servant, the Devil waited.

"And a drink wouldn't go amiss, either."

• The servant stood up and came to the table, looking at the cards and waiting for further Informations.

The guards took a last look into the chamber and then left the room. Radovan could here, that one of them ordered a servant on the floor to fetch some drinks, while the other took his position outside the door.

• For a few moments, the Devil said nothing, intently shuffling the cards. But once he seemed satisfied, Radovan smiled and looked at the servant.

"Well, what card games do you know? Do you know card poker?"

Now and then, the Don glanced towards the door, wondering how long it would take before the requested drink would arrive.

• The woman looked up at Radovan, as he asked. She hesitated a little moment, thinking how to answer - obviously it was not a common question in this place.
    I know the game, she answered, but since I don't have any coins with me, I think it wouldn't be as interesting as it should be.
    She told him some other common card games, she knew.

Bevore the expected drink came, 5 till 10 minuetes went by. The drink was brought by another young woman.

• Though the card games weren't exactly as high stakes as Radovan was accustomed to, the servant provided pleasant distractions with the other card games she knew. Some was won, some was lost, but most importantly, the Devil wasn't bored. Waiting for an appointment could last an eternity, and although he had such time, he'd rather spend his time at least active. The drink was accepted without as much as a second glance; the Don was too immersed in the game. The only thing that'd distract him, would be the news his appointment was up.

• The second servant left the room, as she realised, that Radovan was completely concentrated in the game.
    Time went by - a little more thant one hour, than a guard entered the room.

Her Exzellenz is now willing to receive you.

• Radovan visibly cheered up after hearing this. As fast as he could manage, which was to say, within seconds, the Devil finished his game with the servant, gave her a curt smile and turned to the guard.

"Excellent news! No reason to keep her waiting, then. Let's go."

• The servent didn't look disappointed at all, as she lost the game so quickly. She was their to make it as comfortable as possible for the guests, not to win games...

In Front of the room waited another guard.

So please follow us. The guard took position Radovan's side, while the other flanked him half a step behind.

They went through the floors of the palace, the interior look quite luxurious - for a place, an imperium, that existed for only eleven jears. Some of the pomp, the luxury, one might find in other empires in different worlds missed, but for the standards of Mythodea this place was one of the highest ones. Withe the thick carpets, lying on marble floors, paintings and tapestries, showing elemental Symbols, but also scenes from battles in the history of the northern empire and here and there hints of spiders and spiderwebs as ornaments or directly as art.
    Guards were patrolling the corridors, while servants went buisy by. Some of the guards were human, but many were Naldar.

Than the group reached the huge winged doors of the throne room with the two drow-guards standing next to the door.
    The doors opened in front of the group.

• Although some men would be nervous, Radovan wasn't in the least worried something bad would happen. Lesser men might quiver, but he was not lesser, not at all. Or at the very least arrogant enough to believe so and to present it so. The Devil strode through the hallways, a faint smile across his face. He had prepared his case well, as far as he knew he was safe in these surroundings, he had been reasonably well entertained so far...Yes, the Don was happy. As far as Cornugons could be happy, anyway.

Just before the doors opened, Radovan had closed his eyes briefly. It had been a while since he and the Drow woman had met, so he swiftly recalled how he had addressed her. Most political figures, and especially the Drow in their matriarchal society, were sticklers for the proper etiquette and right now, he couldn't have her mad at him from the get-go. No looking at her directly was the most important. Being polite in these situations was something the Devil remembered easily. Aeons back, his blood had burned fiercely and he was still a warrior at heart, but he enjoyed the slow, political game more and more.

After the doors had opened fully, he risked a quick glance into the throne room before looking at the fine carpets again. Not looking at Drow matriarchs was all fine and dandy, but he wouldn't avert his gaze so much as to trip over any unexpected obstacles.

• Guards are placed at the inside and the outside of the doors. Behind the doors opens the great hall, at whose side a gallary of columns.
    At the end of the hall a stretched staircase mounts in a podium, on which two big thrones are placed.
    The floor and the walls of the hall are of white marble.
    In the floor you can see Mosaiks of the signs of the elements made of colourfull gems.
    At the walls carpets are hanging, showing scenes from the past of mitraspera, espacially from the northern empire. At the side of the throne of the Archon 3 carpets catch the eye of the observer:
    the first one shows a human priest in bright armour, who is killed by humans, whereat no mitrasperanian symbols are visible. The second shows the fall og Elkantar: his fight against Walays and the Avatar of Magic. The tird one shows a bald headed man in the armour of the Seraphim, that turns away from the observer, to go in the direction of a sinking sun.
    Some of the caroets have a height of some Meters, so that they reach to the bottoms of the hall.
    An oriental styled carpet rns from the entrance to the podium.

Behind the thones dangles the hue banner of the Northern Empire, over the thrones there are silken clothes in the colors of the north, that built a baldachin.
    The throne of the Nyame is covered with spider- and web-ornaments, but doesn't show any symbols of Lloth. While the Throne of the archon is purely decorated.

The Nyame, dressed in a silken gown in the colours of the north, looked at the incoming persons.

• Slowly and steadily, Radovan started to walk closer, head bowed in a clear sign of respect for the woman's customs - but not an inch lower than needed. The Demon was a proud one and although he'd never admit it to the Nyame's face unless specifically asked, he'd prefer to deal while looking someone straight in the eyes.

While walking, in his thoughts, the Don recounted all the information he had gathered. He felt he had a good chance of getting what he wanted, but there was no such thing as 'too well prepared'. Mortal life is a game of chance, and stacking the cards in your favour if and when one was able, was never a bad idea. He was still a bit nervous, but the good kind, as if he'd go up on stage, the good kind of stress - it gave him an edge.

So he strode forward, fully well expecting to be told when he was allowed no closer.