A Deal with a Devil

• Obviously every other person in the room thought, that Radovan knew the rules of the palace, that truly noone had told him, since he was here - if that fact was accidentally or because of his manners at the door would never be known...

The guard, who strode short behind him into the room got a little nervous, at he passed the point, normal visitors would have stopped at. He layer his hand at his sword and cleared his throat, as Radovan was a little less than 10m away from the throne.

[...]die Nyame ist eine sehr verständnisvolle Person... Mit einem Gespühr für Schwächen wie ein Bluthund. [...]

• Some Demons and even some Devils have eyes in the back of their head. Radovan did not have that luxury, so he never saw the guard reaching for his sword. However, his ears were fine and he didn't have to guess what the cleared throat meant. No one could see it because the Devil already kept his head bowed, but the gesture made him smile. Drow were one of the few folks who matched Outsiders like himself in terms of arrogance and a love for decorum.

Not wishing to literally cut his visit short by a guard's sword, the Don stopped in his tracks and bowed deeper by way of additional greeting. As far as he could remember, this was a case of 'do not speak unless spoken to', so once more, the man awaited further happenings.

&WCF_AMPERSAND"I&WCF_AMPERSAND'm going to make you an...offer...&WCF_AMPERSAND"<br />[size=7pt]Radovan &WCF_AMPERSAND"Ironclad&WCF_AMPERSAND" Caelyr, Don of House Cerastes, primary liaison of the Cosa Diavolo Nostra to Mitraspera and Kelriothar.[/size]

• The Nyame watched the Devil, perhaps a little smirk on her lips, as the guard drew his blade soundfully out of his scabbard.
    It is common law in the Northern seal, to kneel down in front of our Exzellenz, the Nyame.

• There now was spoken word, alas, not by the Nyame. The guard, apparently this time not content to just clear his throat and hope the Devil in their midst took the hint. No, this time it was a spoken instruction. Radovan still had no wish to eradicate any chance of speaking to the Nyame. Normally a setback would mean he'd wait until the bothersome mortal had perished and was replaced by a more pliable man or woman, but Drow had a tendency to live long lives.

"Ah, how could I forget..."

The Don had bitten his tongue for a more scathing remark and settled for that admission. It was followed by the Devil kneeling down on one knee, his movements as fluid as he could muster. Once kneeling on the floor, he waited again, patient as ever. The Humans he had seen on his first trip to the Prime Material plane often called it 'angels' patience', which was a nice irony to Radovan.

&WCF_AMPERSAND"I&WCF_AMPERSAND'm going to make you an...offer...&WCF_AMPERSAND"<br />[size=7pt]Radovan &WCF_AMPERSAND"Ironclad&WCF_AMPERSAND" Caelyr, Don of House Cerastes, primary liaison of the Cosa Diavolo Nostra to Mitraspera and Kelriothar.[/size]

• I can't remember, to have you allowed to speak... the Nyame spoke in a calm, fluent voice, that was carried by the accustic of the throne-chamber...
    She waited a few seconds, before she kept on speaking So, since you still are interested in an audience after all of your mistakes since now, I think at least both knees should kiss the ground.... .

Calm and patient on the outside the Nyame sat on her throne and looked at Radovan.

[...]die Nyame ist eine sehr verständnisvolle Person... Mit einem Gespühr für Schwächen wie ein Bluthund. [...]

• While Radovan knelt down on both knees, making himself as comfortable as he could be - the Devil saw no reason to not both make himself at ease and appease the Nyame - he chanced a quick glance in her direction.

"My apolagies, madame. I did not intend to address one such as you without being spoken to, but I think it's impolite not to answer, be they soldier or queen."

Despite the rocky start, the Don of House Cerastes still had a faint smile across his face. He was an optimistic man, as ever. Devils dealt in vices and those being as they were, they sprang forth from everyone - consequentially, he knew all kinds of folks and was comfortable anywhere.

"Now, as to your question, your Excellence, yes, I am still interested in an audience. I care too much for the North and the goal I have in mind to withdraw now."

Chancing a second glance, he saw the Nyame look at him and taking yet another risk, he kept her gaze locked for a few seconds, before looking downward again.

• It is "Excellenz", not "madame", the guard behind Radovan told him in a not too gentle voice.

The Nyame listened to his voice, her face a mixture of a cool un-emotional mask and a little... disappointment or annoyance about the devils first words. But his last sentence brought a slight smirk on her face - it seemed, that he was perhaps worth the time, although it was to be found out, if he was so dim-witted, as his first behavior showed, or a wothy person to be spoken with.

She hold his glance, looked in his eyes and it seemed, that she waited a little moment, as to find out, what he wanted to intend with this stare and if he would lower his glance in time.

You are quite a special person, Radovan...
    the Nyame said in a very soft voice. While you came to me for becoming a Protector of the North you spurn the etiquette of the North in front of me. A think, a Protector is not meant to do.

• Despite the actual words being spoken, the Devil smiled. It seemed the games had started in earnest.

"Your Excellenz, contrary to popular believe, most Demons and Devils are unable to read minds. And alas, I did not receive the pleasure of specific schooling in the etiquette of the North. These facts combined, meant I had to rely on the strength of my conviction, trust my instinct of what it means to be hospitable, and finally, trust that the North's famed solidarity would see the things we have in common, namely, a wish for a united North, and for each and everyone treated with the respect he or she deserves."

Without being prompted to do so, Radovan bowed his head, half a show of respect, half a simple nod.

"If such feelings and intentions make me special, I will gladly be special."

• Oh, I know, that neither most devils nor most demons are able to read minds. But most of them are able to speak.
    So I wonder, why you not simply asked one of the servants in the palace, especially the one in the room, where you were waiting in.

The Nyame answered.

• The answer was short, and rather to the point.

"I must confess, your Excellence, I simply had not considered the possibility that the etiquette where I come from and the etiquette of the North would differ so widly."

• Well... one told me, that you are a devil so I thought of you, to come from a place, or better said a plane, where etiquette might be a little stricter, than in the north. So... it's more a kind of Tiefling, or something like that, what you are?

She spoke the words, like she was really interested of the answer, while knowing, that her words were an open offense, if Radovan was indeed a devil and not a half-breed.

• Interesting. She was testing his patience, his tolerance. Well. Radovan wasn't nicknamed 'Ironclad' just for his past as an armoured bodyguard - his skin was thick, both literally and figuratively speaking. This Drow wouldn't get under it that easy.

"I'm afraid, your Excellence, that my plane of origin, Avernus, simply has different etiquette. Not necessarily stricter, but mostly...well, different. For instance, it is a widespread custom in the city of Darkspine to offer guests a seat. I wouldn't say that's stricter, persé."

• Oh, as you see, she pointed at the surrounding chamber, it is not common to be offered a seat, when having an audience here with me...

She let the words last a bit, before she spoke again. You come here to me, to ask for becoming a Protektor, as much as I have heard about you, you and your kin are guests in Klah Obscore since some years... But you say, that you are not even firm in the etiquette of the north - something, a protector should be. You say, that you are caring for the north - a thing, a protector has to do, but also a mere settler has to do...

So, what are the things, that might make you more then a mere settler?

• "Hmmm, yes, that is one clear difference. But I'm not here for our differences, but for our common ground."

Silent for a few seconds, Radovan visibly perked up when the Nyame asked her last question.

"And for more than our common ground, yes, I'm indeed here to ask to become a Protektor. We can find common ground in that I, too, believe a Protektor needs to have qualities that make him or her more than a common settler. I could be insipid about this and mention that being what I am, I am effectively immortal, but it would be mostly in jest to present this here and now as speaking in my favour for the position of Protektor."

Though the Devil was quite comfortable, he stopped speaking for a few seconds to shift his weight. This mortal shell had different needs than he was accustomed to and there was a strange tingling sensation in his legs.

"I had anticipated such a question and thought about this in earnest. I'd say chief amongst these things are the resources I bring to bear. On a personal level, it were operatives of House Cerastes that managed to keep your Excellence alive, together with several other Nyames, on the field of battle, some time back. Recently, both the information about the Talakesh and the...'acquisition' of the Atelier were enabled by yours truly. More importantly, two of the military victories of the North, the Shattering of the Mirror Lord and the Vanquishing of the Herald of War, happened with my direct aid."

The Devil smiled.

"There are other minor things, but I'd consider those most important. The last thing I'd like to add is this. I know I am in no position to demand anything. What is given by your Excellence will always be a sign of good will, a boon for previous services rendered. But if your Excellence would see it fit to do so, the Cosa Diavolo Nostra, and House Cerastes specifically, would be greatly enabled to perform even greater works. I would gladly pledge myself to such great things and by my very nature, I would be physically and mentally unable to twist such a pledge."

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Hellwolve ()

• The Nyame listened to the words of Radovan carefully.
    So, as you mention the shattering of the Mirror-lord: there are rumors, that it wasn't a shattering, as everybody saw it, but a kind of intrigue between you and him. An Intrigue with the destination that he could vanish before the eyes of the herolds to do his business with your help.

• Radovan's reply came swift. Very few things other than the truth came swiftly - all else had to be thought of on the spot.
    "There was no intrigue involved, your Grace. The event, the shattering, was real. There are some ritualistic details I'm abandoning here for the sake of brevity, but to make a long story short, there was energy put into him to control him, we poured energy into him to break control and the sum of these energies was too great for him to contain and he, well, shattered."

• Radovan bowed his head briefly, and smiled.
    "Glad to hear you are a connoisseur of rituals. Too few appreciate the craft. As for him existing, I know he appeared on the field of battle. The 'how' I do not know. And him dealing with me, I would not dare to claim this to be true. Rumours are as they are; they are not truth. Viribus Unitus tasked House Cerastes to deal with his servant. Nothing more, nothing less."

• So you say, there was just the task to deal with his servant, nothing more... are you pretty sure to tell the truth? - you know, I do not like being lied at in my own throne room...

The tone of her voice got a little sharper.

• Radovan smiled yet again. He was still at ease, even though that seemed illogical.
    "Your Excellence, had I been in your position, I might have said the same. I appreciate the truth, like so many others. And though I must confess I do not recall the exact wording used, yes, I do feel I am telling the truth when I say the request, the mission, was primarily to deal with the servant."